Sunday, July 11, 2010

Mark it: Lebowski Fest next weekend!

I know that this may make me terminally uncool, but I was way more into the idea of Lebowski Fest before  it took to the road.  I know we've recently had a similar discussion about the spread of 21c Hotels-- although I find that far easier to take now that the 21c folks are saying that Louisville will still be the HQ-- and I know that I run the risk of being the opposite of a NIMBY person, an OIMBY person (Only In My Back Yard).  But I just kind of feel like when you franchise quirk (and I know, the original Lebowski Fest folks run all the Fests), you kind of dilute the quirkiness.

That being said, Lebowski Fest was one of the things that made me excited to move to Louisville.  I'd been following the Fest for a couple of years but hadn't been able to attend because of summer work schedules.  And when I signed my contract for my Meatspace Workplace here in Louisville, I had a lightbulb moment-- "OMG!  I'm moving to the home of Lebowski Fest-- you've got to be kidding me!!"

I have my doubts that I'll make it this year-- there's a whole slew of stuff going on in town at the same time-- but it starts this Friday, the 16th.  The Movie Night offerings are particularly good with music performances by the Felice Brothers and Thomas A Minor and the Picket line (who totally rocked last year's Nulu Festival before the monsoon).

No comments: