Thursday, January 7, 2010

Mike Linning's Cocktail Sauce: Another local product I can't live without

Not too long ago, I blogged about Bluegrass Soy Sauce. Since then I've bought at least two more bottles. Love that stuff. But there's another local condiment I just can't live without.

Roommate and I try to always keep shrimp in the freezer. It's just such a lovely, and relatively healthy, treat to defrost a couple handfuls of shrimp and scarf down an ad hoc (and cheap!) shrimp cocktail. A couple years ago, we were buying cocktail sauce at ValuMart and decided to check out the local stuff. Mike Linning's Cocktail Sauce is far and beyond the best cocktail sauce I've ever had. I don't know what makes it so good-- but it's thick and spicy and somehow kind of "meaty."

Never been to the restaurant, but their cocktail sauce has put it on the "must visit" list for next summer.

You can buy the cocktail sauce in most local groceries or online, here.

3 comments:

Alice H. Cash said...

I saw that on the shelf of ValuMarket at Mid-City Mall the other day and wondered about it but chose another! Next time I'll give it a try. I've heard a lot about Mike Linning's but have never been! I love The Irish Rover for great fish and chips!

Jeff Shaw said...

I've never bought the cocktail sauce but, in my family, they're famous for their tartar sauce. If you ever have need, give it a shot.

It's a long way from our house to the restaurant but we make the trip when we can. Great fried seafood and a fun time.

M said...

Irish Rover does have some fabulous fish & chips, Alice. Definitely give the Cocktail Sauce a try. I wish I could think of something to put tarter sauce on. I don't fry at home because I'm incredibly clumsy. I guess I could find some good store-bought fish sticks. Any suggestions, Jeff? -- Lou